The New York Rights Fair is pleased to highlight the 9 winners and 14 honorable mentions in the "TALKING PICTURES: Selected Books" program, which is a component of "TALKING PICTURES: The Visual Book Now," a cultural initiative of the fair. The program lauds a selection of books in five categories for excellence in book design, including cookbooks, art and photography books, architecture and graphic design, children's picture books and comics and graphic novels.
Working in collaboration with Steven Guarnaccia of the Parsons School of Design in New York, and Hamelin Cultural Association of Bologna, Italy, the NYRF cited a total of 23 books, all published between January 1 and December 31, 2018, from an array of nearly 600 books submitted from around the globe. The 23 winners and honorable mentions represent publishers from eight countries: the United States, Norway, Sweden, France, Lithuania, Argentina, Portugal and Australia.
See the list of winners
Read Press Release
The books will be displayed in a special gallery section of the Jacob Javits Center in New York City during BookExpo, which runs adjacent to and concurrently with the New York Rights Fair, May 29 – 31, 2019. The 33 authors, illustrators and photographers who plan to be in attendance will participate in design-focused programming during the fairs, among them the TALKING PICTURES: The Visual Book Now panel scheduled for Thursday, May 30, 2019 from 3:30 – 4:15 p.m. A reception for the TALKING PICTURES winners and honorable mentions, open to all fair-goers and exhibitors, is scheduled for May 30, 2019 from 4:15 – 5 p.m.
- Steven Guarnaccia, Associate Professor, Illustration Program, Parsons School of Design
- Ilaria Tontardini, Giordana Piccinini and Emilio Varrà of the Hamelin Cultural Association
- Sophie Blackall, 2019 Caldecott-winning author, Hello Lighthouse
- Mark Newgarden, comic artist and comics teacher, Parsons School of Design
- Joel Smith, photography curator, Morgan Library
- Alexandra Leaf, culinary historian, educator and cookbook author
- Representing Publishers Weekly: Mark Rotello, senior editor, cookbooks specialist and cohost of the podcast PW Insider; children's reviews editor Matia Burnett; Calvin Reid, senior news editor, editor of 'The Fantatic' comics and graphic novels newsletter and cohost of the weekly podcast More to Come: PW Comics Week.